Poop makes life better?
I know, I sound crazy or just really fascinated by poop. But I am telling you taking a really amazing dump can be life changing. People all over this country are struggling with poop, sometimes it comes flying out at mach speed or sometimes its so stubborn that you think it is waiting an engraved invitation. Everyone has dealt it with at one point or another, millions of people are still dealing with it. We do not want to talk about it…might make us less sexy, but nothing is sexy about chronic constipation or diarrhea. So its time to flush your fears of discussing your poop and come out of the bathroom closet and own our bristol poop rating. The bristol stool chart identifies the 7 different types of stool. By learning about your poop then you will learn about your gut.
Kale makes me poop, and makes for a good poop. Corn poops right out (must not be nutritionally beneficial if my body is so quick to get rid of it). Dairy makes my poop fly out so fast you would think its being chased by a bee. Coffee, coffee is my guaranteed poop maker. Water consistently brings me good poop, thats why I keep drinking it and will always continue to drink it.
Why do you care about my poop?
I care because your poop is the first signs that something inside of you is not jiving with your insides. This is how IBS, celiac, colitis, etc are pinpointed. Leaky gut equals leaky brain. If your gut is not happy then your brain is not happy. Studies link leaky gut to mental health diseases like schizophrenia. It is linked to autism and ADHD, which is mainly found in children. So I do not just care about your poop, I care about your kids’s poop. Your gut flora, the several pounds of bacterial organisms we carry in our intestines, affect your brain’s chemistry. With highly processed food, antibiotics, chemicals, and toxins that we put in our body we put our gut flora into high alert. This high alert eventually tips the scales and the harmful bacteria outweigh the helpful bacteria. A leaky gut now happens, the walls of the intestine become inflamed and porous, allowing undigested food, bacteria, toxins, and other antigens into the bloodstream. This provokes the immune system and causes inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation has so many negative side effects on our body, they cause aches, pains, digestive issues, energy issues, and the mental disorders. Depression happens, mood swings occur, the memory dwindles, and sometimes it can get even worse- autism, schizophrenia, anxiety, severe depression.
How can we fix it?
You can fix it by diet…not diet like counting calories or taking injections. But by changing what foods you are giving your body. You are given one body, and its so easy to say “yea, yea, everything is going to eventually kill me”. But if the years you have with your family are high quality then isn’t it worth it? If your kids life is a little bit easier then isn’t it worth feeding them well sourced high quality foods? Just remember these kids will eventually birth your grand kids and so on….the choices you make now for yourself and your kids are affecting generations to come.
Start paying attention to your poop….do you have diarrhea for a day after eating ice cream? Have you not pooped in a week and you mainly eat breads and grains?
You should poop at least once a day and it should be a happy poop. Not too stinky, one long sausage like piece with cracks on the surface.
Take a sausage poop and reflect how much better you feel when that is done, then celebrate…go big, do a little dance.
Foods to Avoid
- ALL sugars and sweeteners
- High-glycemic fruits: watermelon, mango, pineapple, raisins, grapes, canned fruits, dried fruits, etc.
- Tomatoes, potatoes, and mushrooms
- Grains: wheat, oats, rice, barley, buckwheat, corn, quinoa, etc.
- Dairy: milk, cream, cheese, butter, whey, cassein, etc.
- Eggs or foods that contain eggs (such as mayonnaise)
- Soy: soy milk, soy sauce, tofu, tempeh, soy protein, etc.
- Alcohol (sorry!)
- Lectins- found in nuts, beans, soy, potatoes, tomato, eggplant, peppers, peanut oil, peanut butter and soy oil, among others
- Processed foods
- Canned foods
What can I eat then?
- Most vegetables (except tomato, potatoes, and mushrooms)
- Fermented foods: sauerkraut, kimchi, pickled ginger, fermented cucumbers, coconut yogurt, kombucha, water kefir, etc.
- Meats: fish, chicken, beef, lamb, organ meats, etc. Try and get farm fresh, grass fed, non antibiotic meat. Try and eat some organs. Look for a local farmer or check your local Weston Price site for local sources – www.westonaprice.org/
- Low-glycemic fruits: apricots, plums, apple, peach, pear, cherries and berries are best
- Coconut: coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk, coconut cream – try and stay away from cans w/BPAs in them
- Herbal teas
- Olives and olive oil
- Water, water, water- drink half your body weight in water.
A great cookbook to get you started it is The Auto Immune Paleo Cookbook
Get help. Having a leaky gut is dangerous. It is the stem for so many physical and mental issues. Until you fix your gut nothing else can get fixed. Want to go longer in bed? Fix your gut…I kid you not. Want to look hotter in a dress…fix your gut. Want to stop screaming at your kids…yep, gut. Want your kids to start paying attention in school….the gut. Give it a whirl…its the cheaper alternative to years of meds, has minimal side effects, and has way more positives than it does negatives.
Do not struggle with chronic illness anymore, it is not worth it. Dedicate yourself to it, and then in 6 months let me know….how is your poop.
You know you love the poop talk!! Sign up for more and my weekly newsletter!